Methods of Submission
The Journal strongly encourages contributors to submit their manuscripts electronically. Manuscripts submitted in competition for the James Baker Hughes Prize may be emailed to the Journal’s Chief Casenotes and Comments Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org, submitted through the form located on the righthand side of this page, or sent via ExpressO. Alternatively, the Journal does accept hardcopy submissions, which may be addressed to the following:
- Houston Journal of International Law
- Attn: Chief Casenotes and Comments Editor
- University of Houston Law Center
- 100 Law Center
- Houston, Texas 77204-6060
James Baker Hughes Submission Guidelines
All pieces submitted to the Journal in competition for the James Baker Hughes Prize should adhere to the following:
- The manuscript’s focus must be on international economic law. The James Baker Hughes Prize is awarded for manuscripts on no other topic.
- Electronic submissions should be in Microsoft Word format.
- Citations should conform to the 20th edition of The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation.
- Footnotes are preferred over endnotes, but both are permissible.
- All body and footnote text should be double-spaced, with 12-point Times New Roman typeface.
- Please include a current resume or curriculum vitae.
- Hardcopy submissions should be accompanied by a cover sheet containing the manuscript’s title and the author’s name, contact information, and affiliation.
Submissions should not exceed 25 formatted pages, exclusive of footnotes. Although there is no minimum length—and thus brief pieces may be submitted in pursuit of the James Baker Hughes Prize—authors should consider shorter works for publication in Sidebar, submission guidelines for which can may be found here: Sidebar Submission Guidelines.
Only manuscripts written by student will be considered for the James Baker Hughes Prize.
Student-authors may request expedited review of their James Baker Hughes submissions. Requests for expedited review may be emailed to the Journal’s Chief Casenotes and Comments Editor at email@example.com, with the words “Expedited Request” in the subject line. When emailing to request expedited review, please indicate the date by which a response is needed and the preferred method of contact.
All questions regarding the James Baker Hughes Prize or its submission procedures should be directed to the Journal’s Chief Casenotes and Comments Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org.