Methods of Submission
The Journal strongly encourages contributors to submit their manuscripts electronically. Manuscripts may be emailed to the Journal’s Chief Articles Editor at email@example.com, submitted through the form located on the righthand side of this page, sent via ExpressO, or sent via Scholastica. Alternatively, the Journal does accept hardcopy submissions, which may be addressed to the following:
- Houston Journal of International Law
- Attn: Chief Articles Editor
- University of Houston Law Center
- 100 Law Center
- Houston, Texas 77204-6060
Print Submission Guidelines
All submissions to the Journal should adhere to the following guidelines:
- Electronic submissions should be in Microsoft Word format.
- Citations should conform to the 20th edition of The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation.
- Footnotes are preferred over endnotes, but both are permissible.
- All body and footnote text should be double-spaced, with 12-point Times New Roman typeface and justified.
- Please include a current resume or curriculum vitae.
- Hardcopy submissions should be accompanied by a cover sheet containing the manuscript’s title and the author’s name, contact information, and affiliation.
The Journal welcomes submissions of all lengths, as it maintains neither page-count requirements nor limitations. Please keep in mind, however, that most articles that the Journal publishes are approximately 20,000–30,000 words in length, including footnotes (i.e., approximately 40–60 publication-formatted pages, including footnotes). Shorter submissions are considered for publication in Sidebar.
Manuscripts authored by scholars and practitioners are considered for the Journal’s print publication. The only student-written pieces that the Journal will consider for its print edition are those that are about international economic law and have been submitted in competition for the James Baker Hughes Prize. Students may, however, seek publication in the Journal’s online companion, Sidebar, submission guidelines for which may be found here: Sidebar Submission Guidelines.
Authors may request expedited review of their submissions. Requests for expedited review may be emailed to the Journal’s Chief Articles Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the words “Expedited Request” in the subject line. When emailing to request expedited review, please indicate the date by which a response is needed and the preferred method of contact.
All questions regarding submission procedures or requirements should be directed to the Journal’s Chief Articles Editor at email@example.com.