The Houston Journal of International Law invites the submission of unsolicited manuscripts. Submissions are reviewed throughout the year, and publication offers are made on a rolling basis.
Methods of Submission
The Journal strongly encourages contributors to submit their manuscripts electronically. Manuscripts may be emailed to the Journal’s Chief Articles Editor at email@example.com or sent via Scholastica.
We are currently not accepting hardcopy submissions due to COVID-19.
Print Submission Guidelines
All submissions to the Journal should adhere to the following guidelines:
- Electronic submissions should be in Microsoft Word format.
- Citations should conform to the 21st edition of The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation.
- Footnotes are preferred over endnotes, but both are permissible.
- All body and footnote text should be double-spaced, with 12-point Times New Roman typeface and justified.
- Please include a current resume or curriculum vitae.
- Hardcopy submissions should be accompanied by a cover sheet containing the manuscript’s title and the author’s name, contact information, and affiliation.
The Journal welcomes submissions of all lengths, as it maintains neither page-count requirements nor limitations. Please keep in mind, however, that most articles that the Journal publishes are approximately 10,000–30,000 words in length, including footnotes (i.e., approximately 20–60 publication-formatted pages, including footnotes).
Manuscripts authored by scholars and practitioners are considered for the Journal’s print publication.
The only student-written pieces that the Journal will consider for its print edition are those that are about international economic law and have been submitted in competition for the James Baker Hughes Prize.
Authors may request expedited review of their submissions.
Requests for expedited review may be emailed to the Journal’s Chief Articles Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the words “Expedited Request” in the subject line. When emailing to request expedited review, please indicate the date by which a response is needed and the preferred method of contact.
All questions regarding submission procedures or requirements should be directed to the Journal’s Chief Articles Editor at email@example.com.